- Review the Learning Resources and consider the insights they provide on comprehensive, integrated psychiatric assessment. Watch the Mental Status Examination B-6 and Simulation Scenario-Adolescent Risk Assessment videos.
- Watch the YMH Boston Vignette 5 video and take notes; you will use this video as the basis for your Discussion post.
BY DAY 3 OF WEEK 1
Based on the YMH Boston Vignette 5 video, post answers to the following questions:
- What did the practitioner do well? In what areas can the practitioner improve?
- At this point in the clinical interview, do you have any compelling concerns? If so, what are they?
- What would be your next question, and why?
Then, address the following. Your answers to these prompts do not have to be tailored to the patient in the YMH Boston video.
- Explain why a thorough psychiatric assessment of a child/adolescent is important.
- Describe two different symptom rating scales that would be appropriate to use during the psychiatric assessment of a child/adolescent.
- Describe two psychiatric treatment options for children and adolescents that may not be used when treating adults.
- Explain the role parents/guardians play in assessment.
Support your response with at least three peer-reviewed, evidence-based sources and explain why each of your supporting sources is considered scholarly. Attach the PDFs of your sources.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
BY DAY 6 OF WEEK 1
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on 2 different days by offering additional insights or alternative perspectives on their analysis of the video, other rating scales that may be used with children, or other treatment options for children not yet mentioned. Be specific and provide a rationale with evidence.
worker by his medical provider who is
concerned about symptoms of depression
and anxiety that Tony reported in his
do you have a sense of why you’re here
yeah my doctor sent me so I’d like to
ask you some questions about how you’re
feeling how is your mood been lately um
I don’t know what you mean
have you been feeling sad or depressed
not really have you been crying a lot
I don’t really cry have you been feeling
yeah how about feeling edgy you’re angry
well yeah I guess I feel angry sometimes
um like kind of like I just want to
fight someone you can definitely talk
more about that do you ever feel like
you don’t have much energy or like
you’re not very interested in things
well I like basketball um but sometimes
I don’t have enough energy to play don’t
like school how are you doing in school
well I used to get all A’s and B’s but
my grades are kind of going down that’s
mainly just cuz I don’t do my homework
why not don’t like it it’s even hard
getting up in the mornings do you use
drugs or alcohol
I guess I’ll have a beer or two with my
friends sometimes sounds like things are
not always going so great you like
playing basketball but sometimes you
have trouble getting up in the morning
and getting interested in school and you
can sometimes get pretty angry how long
have you been feeling that way for like
two months um since May my girlfriend
broke up it makes me like really angry
with her or just with anyone mm-hmm
when I think about it I get a tight pain
in my chest and my heart beats really
I don’t know Hey I don’t even know why
she did break up with me but it hurts
and I don’t yeah I don’t even want to be
alive have you had thoughts about doing
something to hurt yourself yeah yeah
tell me more about that